You just got back from grocery shopping, and your dog is excited to share some chocolate.
Now, you’re probably wondering if dogs can eat chocolate. Your cute dog is also not likely to refuse when you try to give it some.
Well, while your pet CAN eat chocolate, you SHOULDN’T feed it. It is not advisable.
This is simply because chocolate is toxic to dogs. Here’s why.
What are the active substances in chocolate?
Chocolate contains two active substances: Theobromine and caffeine.
Chocolate is formed from cacao beans. Cacao beans contain a higher concentration of theobromine compared to caffeine.
These active ingredients can do some real damage to your dog’s body system and should, therefore, be totally avoided in your pet’s diet.
How does a dog’s body system react to these substances?
Basically, your dog’s body system has difficulties breaking down active substances such as theobromine and caffeine.
This process of “break down” is what is referred to as metabolism.
During chocolate metabolism, substances may remain in your dog’s bloodstream for as long as 20 hours.
This retention leads to a form of build-up, which will badly affect your dog’s nervous and circulatory system.
It leads to overstimulation of the central nervous system. It may also lead to possible renal and heart complications.
In other words, theobromine and caffeine from chocolate will certainly upset your dog’s insides greatly.
A lethal dose of theobromine and caffeine is somewhere between the range of 100mg to 200mg.
Still, it certainly would be best not to guess around appropriate sizes or quantities of chocolate to be fed to your dog.
This would still cause harm to your pet.
In other words, you should never try to compromise by feeding your dog smaller quantities of chocolate.
Also, darker forms of chocolate such as cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and baking chocolate are considered even more harmful for dogs, especially when compared to milk chocolate.
However, not all dogs react the same way to chocolate poisoning.
This is because of factors such as your dog’s structure and its body weight.
Other factors, such as its general well-being and the type of chocolate consumed, also play a part in determining how it reacts.
While you most probably just want your dog to enjoy a good snack time, sharing that snicker bar may not be such a good idea after all.
What are the symptoms when your dog consumes chocolate?
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include hyperactivity, diarrhea, extreme thirst, panting, shaking, and seizures.
In most cases, most dogs vomit chocolate after consumption. Sickness then follows some 6-12 hours later.
However, In extreme cases, it is essential to note that chocolate poisoning can lead to death.
What to do when your dog consumes chocolate?
If your dog has consumed chocolate, take it to see the vet ASAP!
Getting medical care as soon as possible helps with a speedy recovery.
The earlier your dog gets to the vet, the higher its chances of survival.